Wednesday 19 December 2012

Zoot and Sandy




Sandy the elephant and Zoot the dog were, without doubt, the best of pals in the whole wide world. They loved to sit by the river and watch time floating past their little seat.


They were always comfortable in each other’s company, so much so that that most times they never felt the need to talk - sometimes this lasted for hours. Just the one being at their side was enough for the other.


“How come we never talk?” asked Sandy to his pal one day.  


“Well, perhaps we hear too much talking in our lives away from the beach,” said a very thoughtful Zoot.


“You know,” said Sandy. “I don’t know too much about your life and you don’t know much about mine but it doesn’t seem to matter.”


“No, it doesn’t,” said Zoot but there was a feeling that he would like to have known more. “Did you never want to do something with your life?” asked the dog.


“I did, I still do,” said the elephant. “I want to be an opera singer.”


“That’s cool, I never knew that about you,” said Zoot the dog.


“What about you?” asked Sandy.


“Well, I’ve always wanted to be a footballer,” said a very proud Zoot.


“So why haven’t you?” asked a curious elephant.


“Because dogs don’t play football and if I might bring it up, elephants don’t sing in operas,” said Zoot, sadly.


And even ‘though they discussed it for the rest of the day neither of them could remember where they’d read that dogs didn’t play football and elephants didn’t sing in operas.


The following day was very like the previous one with the friends sitting by the river watching life fly by them.


“I couldn’t sleep last night,” said Sandy. “I have been thinking about the opera and my singing. What would my family say?” he asked to no one in particular. “And what about my friends?”


Zoot thought for a moment then said, “I am your friend and I would be proud if you sang and if the singing made you happy.”


Sandy asked Zoot if he wanted anything. Zoot told him that he wanted to be a footballer. Apparently dogs were very good at playing football except people never gave dogs a chance.


Then Sandy told Zoot a story about the most dangerous people in the whole wide world. Some of these people weren’t born dangerous, some couldn’t be anything other than dangerous and some didn’t mean to be dangerous.


Zoot wanted to know who these people were and where they lived.


“They live everywhere,” said Sandy.


“Everywhere?” asked Zoot.


“There have a name, one they don’t mention but they know each other by sight. They are called the Dream Thieves.”


Zoot looked confused. “So that is why you are not an opera singer and I am not a footballer?”


Sandy told Zoot that the Dream Thieves didn’t have any power of their own; after all they would prefer that everyone lived in caves – that we were all constantly in the dark.


“They live off your fear. By thinking you are not good enough feeds them with power.”


“How do we beat the Dream Thieves?” asked Zoot.


“By only trusting yourself,” said Sandy proudly.”The Dream Thieves are really the scared ones. They don’t want you to do something they are afraid to do themselves.”


Zoot thought for a few moments and then stood.


“I am off to play football, I’ll see you tomorrow,” said Zoot and whistled all the way home. 




bobby stevenson thoughtcontrol ltd 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Perfect Place To Be

Another new morning in Deal. I haven’t checked the telephone, and I sure as hell haven’t switched on the TV with all that news.   So I lie t...